Saturday, April 10, 2010

I haven't seen the PA (physician's assistant) yet today who is in charge of Tom but from what his nurse Cathy is saying they are planning to due an MRI of Tom's brain to make sure he has no "septic emboli" in his brain. Septic emboli would be bacteria from his initial infection (group A strep) which traveled elsewhere in his body. They don't necessarily think he does but with how difficult it has been to wake him up, they want to rule it out. My good friend and co-worker Kristen text paged me this am asking if they had checked Tom's ammonia level...It's funny but I had questioned that myself as I was trying to go to sleep last night. Great minds think alike! ;-) Thanks Kris. I mentioned it to the nurse, they haven't checked it since his admit but she agrees that with his decreased kidney and liver function and acute pancreatitis that it is a distinct possibility so they will check it. I guess even though I am not working my critical thinking skills are still intact. Last night they were unable to extubate Tom and overnight he became very agitated and they had to put him back on Versed (sedation) and adjust the vent because he dropped his oxygen saturation. He also has increased respiratory secretions so I am guessing that they won't successfully extubate today either. As most of you know, sleep is one of Tom's favorite hobbies. I am actually beginning to think that Tom is enjoying all of his sleep so he is going to milk this for all it's worth. He always tells me he wants to "sleep til the sleeping is done." I guess he intends to do just that...I may join him for some ZZZ's. Catch up with you all later.
0 comments

No comments:

Post a Comment