Tuesday, April 20, 2010

catching up

I was a slacker yesterday...sorry to all of you who were looking for updates. I was taking a little time enjoying the fact I could talk and interact with Tom so the day kind of just flew by. Tom had a busy day yesterday. He went for a modified barium swallow to see if he could eat or drink but no such luck. I sat in on the test and could see (on x-ray) that anything they gave him got stuck in his throat. It took him over seven times to get a teaspoon of applesauce to go down. So, the plan is to repeat that on Friday so no food or drinks til then. Physical therapy came by to evaluate him and see where his deficits are at this point and they got him up to sit in a chair again. Tom was pretty tired so he didn't sit up long. Not sure why HE was so tired after sleeping for 2 1/2 weeks, especially since he was the one who called ME at 6:15 in the morning cause he was "bored" ;-) I would have liked the sleep but I have to say it was pretty remarkable that he was able to call me on his own even if it was at the crack of dawn. :) A case manager came by too to start thinking about discharge plans from the hospital and into short term rehab facility until he is stronger physically. All in all a good day yesterday. He is medically stable at this point. Yipee! So, we are just waiting on the next swallow study and then he may be able to break out of this joint by next week. There is still a long road ahead but hopefully the most difficult parts are behind us! Tom said he may be ready for visitors in the next day or so. I will let you know.

1 comment:

  1. Cheryl, please do not appologize for not posting. I'm sure I speak for many when I say we are just so happy Tom is doing so well he is able to talk with you so often now :) Tom, we all miss you here at Assumption and are so very happy at your amazing progress in the last 5 days! Keep up the great work and if you are bored give us a call :)

    ReplyDelete